|refectory early 13th cent. with trifoil windows|
|back of chapel of the virgin,|
flamboyant gothic and the half timbering
of the abbot's house
|13th cent. arcading of the chapterhouse;|
now part of a 1950's house
|front of the abbot's house, 15th cent.|
|chapel of the virgin, late 15th cent|
|chapel of the virgin,|
flamboyant gothic late 15th cent.;
house window later addition!
In 800, when Ithier died, Charlemagne appointed Alcuin of York to succeed him as abbot of St Martin of Tours. A key figure of the Carolingian Renaissance, Alcuin set about reforming the teaching at Tours and 20 Benedictine monks were dispatched to Cormery. Alcuin died in 804. By 821 there were more than 40 monks. Cormery remained an important daughter house of the abbey of Tours.
|remnants of the cloister early 13th cent.;|
porch tower in the background, late 11th cent
|late 11th cent. porch tower; the nave is now the street|
The town still has good evidence of the fortifications built to protect the abbey enclosure during these upheavals. Many bits of wall and tower are now incorporated into houses. By the advent of the French Revolution it was a shadow of its former self, and in 1799 the buildings were sold off by the state.